Koh Lipe is an attractive destinations that visitors should not miss when visiting Thailand. With many beautiful beaches and other sighseeing, this place is worth a visit.
Koh Lipe’s attractions
Sunset Beach ( Hat Pramong)
Sunset Beach is a small cave opposite to the west of the island. As its name, it’s an ideal place to see the sunset. Some restaurants and bars are built there. You can admire the sunset and enjoy peaceful atmosphere while experiencing services at the restaurants. Although this place has developed much, the areas around Sunrise beach still remain the elegance of the island.
Archipelago and nearby beaches
Besides main beaches, there are some abandoned islands that you can easily get just by boat. There are two big islands including Koh Adang and Koh Rawi. Tourists can camp at the guard stations here. Forest ranger stations on Koh Adang offer small tents and lodges, as well as a small restaurant (open from November to May). If you are planning to camp during your holiday, island camp is a cost-effective way to enjoy nature-inspired backdrop. Normally, when you come here, you will take boat trips and diving to discover the islands that are extremely rich organisms.
What to do in Koh Lipe
Fishing is considered as an illegal activity here, so you should avoid fishing tours or buying fish at the local. However, scuba diving activities here are very popular with plenty of snorkelling centre and diving equipment outlets.
Dining at Koh Lipe
In Koh Lipe, there are numerous of restaurants which serve from delicious Thai street food to international cuisine. These are some good restaurants:
- Sunrise restaurant: a friendly restaurant is built on the beach. It serves very delicious Thai food with reasonable price.
- Pancake Lady: located in the centre of the island. It’s the best bakery in Thailand with plenty flavour of the cake such as coconut, banana and chocolate. Smoothies drink sold in plastic glasses are also very attractive.
- Papaya Restaurant (Ms Nee street food) near Walking Street crossroads ( about 200 meters to Sunrise Beach). This restaurant serves Northern street food for the locals and tourists. The most delighted dishes are Som Tam ( spicy papaya salad), larb (spicy minced meat salad), fried chicken and grilled seafood BBQ.
- La Luna Restaurant: located on a small road at Walking Street, about 50 meters from Road No.7/11. The owners are an Italian husband and a Thai wife. They can cook very delicious Italian traditional food such as pizza, lasagne, spaghetti, imported beef and hamburger. This restaurant is very crowded in the evening, so if you want to have dinner here, you should book the seat in advance
- Café Lipe: located at Pattaya beach, next to the resort. Café Lipe is nestled under the trees beside Varin Resort which looks like a small oasis Pattaya. This is a cosy place to get out of the sun and enjoy a glass of smoothie or coffee and plenty of options for breakfast and lunch. You can contact the restaurant at the phone number +66 86 969 9472.
- Elephant Books and Coffee: located about 200 meters to the Pattaya Beach. Elephant Books and Coffee is the best destination in Koh Lipe. The café offers cappuccinos, lattes, espressos with many options for breakfast such as salad and bread. The owners are two Californian women. You can buy or sell books here in many languages and take part in a lot of interesting entertainment activities with your friends.
The traffic at Koh Lipe
Koh Lipe’s main road is called “Walking Street” and closed for motorbikes from 18:00 to 24:00 during the high season. The road here is mainly by concrete, usually, you will take about 10 – 20 minutes to walk from beach to the other side. At night, most of the roads here are illuminated by street lamps, but it’s better if you prepare a flashlight when you go out and explore areas that are not illuminated. . From 2013, Koh Lipe has officially launched a motorbike taxi service for tourists. Each car can carry 2 people and you can be assured that the price here is fixed. Visitors using the service can find colourful motorcycles drivers wearing purple jackets.